Sicilian Chicken with Blood Oranges
Quick cook 35-40 minutes or slow cook 2 1/2 hours
Gluten Free, Wheat Free
- 3 blood oranges
- 1 tbsp. Lucy Bee Coconut Oil
- 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1-2 whole cloves
- 2 red onions, peeled and sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. chili flakes
- Seeds from 3 cardamom pods
- A pinch of grated nutmeg
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 sprig dried thyme
- 40g green olives, pitted
- A pinch of Lucy Bee Himalayan Salt and Lucy Bee Whole Black Peppercorns, ground, to season
- 300ml chicken stock for quick cook or 750ml chicken stock if slow cooking
- Start by grating the zest from half an orange and set aside. Juice two oranges (one that you’ve taken the zest from) and set aside. Slice the remaining orange (skin on) and set aside.
- If slow cooking, preheat the oven to 150C, 300F, gas mark 2.
- Melt the Lucy Bee Coconut Oil in a deep pan, on a high heat.
- Add the cloves and chicken thighs and brown each side.
- Turn down the heat, add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute, before adding the cumin, chilli flakes, cardamom, orange (juice, zest and slices), nutmeg, bay leaves, thyme, olives, seasoning and stock.
- For a quick cook, place the lid on and cook for 15 minutes on a medium heat then remove the lid and cook for a further 5-8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the stock has reduced and thickened. ALTERNATIVELY, for a slow cook, bring to the boil, cover and slow cook in a preheated oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves to serve with brown rice or quinoa.
You may also like